Sometimes first are fun. First girl scout cookie of the year, first wedding present received, first beef stew ever made, or even first Brad Paisley concert (coming tomorrow)... but this first today was not one of those. This was one of those moments when I was caught off guard, completely. Amidst running from classroom to classroom, barely getting the chance to jot myself a note or two about what we worked on during a session before needing to pick up my next kid. Then all of a sudden the day came to a screeching hault.
Today I placed my first call to CPS. Child Protective Services. It's about as horrible as it sounds. The day began as innocent as ever- we were working on identifying feelings and got on the feeling of 'hurt.' Then my little friend shared how his mom (I use that term loosely here) has abused him. In a way only a 4 year old can, in words so raw and honest it took my breath away. And he not only has the physical scars to prove it but he will forever carry the emotional scars with him.
As I sat in the director's office and placed that phone call the words barely came, but the tears were free flowing. I guess this is what working in inner city schools feels like. This is what adulthood feels like. Here's to hoping DC CPS will look out for and take care of this little kiddo in ways that his parents can't/ aren't. And here's to hoping that your day had a happier ending than mine...
Oh this is heartbreaking! Thank you for doing this and I really hope this is the beginning of positive change for this little kiddo. :(
ReplyDelete