Jul 26, 2011

invested

Physically, mentally, emotionally I am invested into my work.  Maybe some people out there are able to go to work each day and leave their work at the office, but in my field that is very difficult and highly unlikely (and not just because my families have my cell phone number).  I know I am not a parent, and one day when I am I will probably look back on my first few years in the working world and laugh at my ignorance, but I do have some knowledge thanks to all my schooling and training.

two major lessons learned this week (and its only tuesday):
1. document, document, document.  Oh and do it some more.  Write down dates of phone conversations with people that could come back to cover your butt.  When you notify someone of a problem (or potential problem) and they choose not to act, it can and does fall back on you.  So while its nice to assume that everyone has a master to-do list so they dont forget their responsibilities, even the highest up in the food chain aren't organized.  Makes me wonder how they got to where they are professionally...

2. When you believe something is wrong, it normally is.  Believe your gut, communicate honestly, and fight for what you know to be true.  I absolutely hate when people manipulate and pin you against someone else for their benefit- and I hate it even more when it happens in the professional world.  I love my kids, but 'fighting' their parents to get them what they need to be healthy and successful is not my idea of a good time or fun day at the office.

I am too invested and need a vacation not to mention a better work-life balance.  here's hoping the month of august (no time at the school, yay!) is restful and a little less chaotic and next school year is better.  I have learned so many lessons about advocating for myself and my time as well as fighting for my kids and standing up to work-place 'bullies'- I hope I wont have to put too much of this to use but only time will tell...

No comments:

Post a Comment