Most people (if they're like me) wrongfully assume that once you graduate and the tuition payments have been made, you're home free! You wont have to pay any more money to anyone, and your paycheck can be yours, free and clear, minus taxes of course. Flashback to reality. In the last two weeks I have paid the following amounts toward "professional licensure and development":
$135 to be licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia
$50 to be licensed to practice in a school in VA (just in case)
$264 to be licensed to practice in the District of Columbia
$20 to confirm license in VA in order to be licensed in DC
$40 for malpractice and liability insurance
$286 for ASHA certification and membership
total: $795 and for what, but a few pieces of paper to authorize me to do what Ive been trained to do. Thanks Uncle Sam, and the Treasurers of DC and VA. I hope my money is at least buying your under-appreciated personal assistant a latte or fixings some of the pot holes that keep giving me flat tires!
My happiest moment though, and proudest toward JMU is the fact that they do not charge for transcripts. Which is extremely helpful being that I have ordered about 10 in the last 2 weeks!
Oh, did I forget to mention that I officially accepted a job offer this week?! Truth! I start a week from today. In the meantime, Im off to get passport photos taken for my licenses, complete some more online training, work on creating a budget for myself, and do some celebrating! Cheerio!
No comments:
Post a Comment