Dec 27, 2009

the bests of 09

As the end of the year approaches I decided it was necessary to compile a list of per say, the best 15 memories of 2009, or at least the best 15 that have photos to go with them.  Here are the contenders: 
1. The Georgetown v. Pitt basketball game- this year I joined in on a several year running tradition with my sister & her college friends, picking a respective blue & spending the day galavanting in & out of DC bars pre & post basketball game.  It was great fun, quite chaotic, and someone may or may not have ended up in a walk-in freezer.  I will never look at Urban Outfitters or Post Secret the same again.  Too bad this year's game is at Pitt...
2. Living in Sancar with T- I took a gamble, and lived on the fringe of ghetto land in hburg with someone I barely knew, and she turned out to be one of the most spunky gals I know! I loved our rustic/ authentic/ raw warehouse turned loft apt and loved my roommate... finally, someone got me to wear more than polos! Oh and did I mention she introduced me to gin & tonics? 
3. Running my first road race- the stress of graduate school & being stuck in hburg without all of my college friends turned me into a runner! After the leesburg half I was hooked, and so began the beginning of my running obsession.  My HS soccer coach would be so proud- this ones in loving memory of Coach Lanum "No Loafing!"
4. The 2nd annual hburg crawl & my first (and last summer in hburg)- I grew to both love and hate harrisonburg during my last year there.  Loved it for the memories and quirks, and new friends, but hated it for how it kept me from some of my bests all year. In June we reunited many of the favorites & crawled... from Clementine to Daves, Finnigans to Jack Browns & The Dodger! Who's ready for June '10? Maybe we will be older & wiser.. 
5. Liz & Andrew's wedding festivus- Liz is one of my first and oldest JMU friends & she married her high school sweetheart.  It was a weekend filled with so many friends and so much love! We may or may not have gotten invited to another wedding next door to spice it up & someone may or may not have climbed on the roof of a moving car (not a good idea, kids)... 
6. 4th of july in naptown- spending the 4th with my little and her family further cemented my love for her while I attempted to become an "Anapolitian." Dinners on the water, parades & hotdogs, pina coladas & sailing on the bay, crab feasting & a house full of fraternity boys.  If someone was ever to convince me to live north of the Mason Dixon, they wouldnt have to fight hard to get me to Annapolis.  
7. Baking the "famous cinnabuns" with my gma- I got the baking gene from both of my grandmothers and I finally got the secret recipe for the cinnamon buns. We spent the day cooking, tasting, and reminiscing.  I firmly believe the art of homemade cooking needs to be brought back.  Have I mentioned my family calls me "Martha Stewart" minus the financial scandal.  
8. Moving to northern VA- this was high on my list of "never will I evers." But I guess a handful of friends, a sister, and a boyfriend have a lot of pull to get you closer to them.  Minus the traffic, the pot holes, and the multitude of people crammed into such a small space, I am enjoying it.  And this one & I have not only helped getting each other through traffic & clinicals, but love and life too.  Some people say we look like sisters, and our professors still confuse us after 6 years.  
9. Another step closer to accomplishing my dream of being a photographer- this fall I took a photography class & loved every minute of it.  It was a near horrible time to add something else to my plate, but I learned so much and plan to take the intermediate class as soon as time allows.  I'd love to take more pictures for friends & develop my skills...I think I got my photography gene from my grandpa.
10.  Owning scrubs & completing my first offsite clinical rotation- I love wearing scrubs! While terrifying at the beginning, and exhausting several days in between when I had to work 10+ hour shifts I have never learned so much and been so pushed to pull out of my brain everything I have learned in 6 years of schooling.  And when my rotation was over, I even got offered a job upon graduation! 
11. Pumpkin patch with B- high on my list of things I love are pumpkins.  Pumpkin candles, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin muffins, all things pumpkiny.  Brandon & I got to run around a pumpkin patch on a gorgeous farm in the middle of the mountains en route to Harrisonburg and it was one of my favorite moments all year! I think we have found another tradition to look forward to each fall.
12. Double date wknd in dc with Tay/ Luke- two of the funniest and funnest people I know came up to DC for a weekend visit.  Filled with site seeing, good food and lots of laughs, I'm sure the thing most of us wont forget is the most ridiculous round of games we've ever played! Looks like Brandon survived his first street dog, poor sheltered child. 
13. Williamsburg wknd: I spent a hysterical 3 days in Williamsburg with Brandon's family for the w&m v jmu football game, which was also Ry's senior homecoming.  This family has more fun than most other families I know! We threw one of the best tailgates I've ever attended & had so much fun crashing the alumni wine party as well as stopping at all the delis.

14. Passing my clinical boards & being accepted at Georgetown- hard work does pay off! I studied my butt off all fall to take my clinical boards early in order to run the Disney Marathon.  Every minute of studying was worth it, every lunch hour, car ride, and weekend spent studying was worth passing & knowing I dont ever have to take a test again! Oh and in about 2 weeks I will be starting my peds rotation at Georgetown University Hospital! Let's go Hoyas! 
15. Christmas at the Ritz- The Christmas season began by getting all dressed up to celebrate the year's accomplishments with some of B's coworkers at the company party.  Girls always love dressing up & this girl always loves good food.  So a great dress & heals + good food + great company = an all around awesome night! 

1 comment: