Oct 27, 2011

Ribbon Wreath, need I say more?!

So I've previously talked about my love of Pintrest, and have already used many of my pins to help with wedding planning.  But this week I attempted by first pintrest craft... the ribbon wreath! So behold, a little step by step + my recommendations and the g-o-r-g-e-o-u-s finished project! I've actually already made 2, but I cant reveal the other on here (just incase it finds its way to one of my readers)...
supplies: 14" wreath foam form, glue gun/ sticks, 4 yards of 10-12 different ribbons, scissors, ruler, sewing macine, and patience

you want a variety of shades, sizes, textures and colors of ribbon.  Since this was a JMU themed wreath, my colors are purple and yellow only (but you can pick more than 2 colors if you want)! I found wired ribbon to give the wreath more fluff. 

Cut your ribbon into 5 inch strips

Sew your strips into loops (leaving a small 'tail' at the end- this is how you attach the ribbon loops to the form).  If you dont have a sewing machine, you can hot glue them into loops- just be prepared for even more blisters and burns! 

Cover your foam form with a solid color ribbon, it wont be seen once the wreath is done (except from the back).

Once you have all your loops (tons and tons!), take a stretch break and then plug in your glue gun.

Pick a section and begin glueing ribbon loops onto the form.  Work outward in each direction, being sure to include all the different ribbons you chose and try not to put identical loops next to each other.  

After 5 hours of work from start to finish... tada! A happy JMU themed wreath! (I had planned on adding wooden J-M-U letters to the wreath, but Im afraid to ruin it by glueing letters on top of the ribbon, so I think I'll leave those out). 

This may be one of my most favorite DIY projects, who knows, maybe I'll get pinned! :) Oh and I followed the tutorial on this blog to get me started: tatertots & jello

No comments:

Post a Comment