For a moment I am going to do some "nerd SLP talk." Beyond the typical bedside swallow evals, I've participated in multiple Modified Swallow Studies, assisted diagnosing with radiology, participated in grand rounds with the head-neck cancer team, and done an evaluation for a PM speaking valve. My all time best moments of the week included: reviewing CT scans with the ENT/ oncology team while discussing pre and post op head-neck cancer patient (for speech and swallowing), and placing a Passy-Muir speaking valve on a man who has been trached and unable to speak for 2 months! Once the PM valve was in place and he was able to adjust his breathing, I helped him call his wife at work and he told her he loved her. It had been two months since she had heard his voice! As they talked for several minutes, tears were falling down his cheeks, and I could hear her tears of joy through the phone. This man referred to Eliza and I as his "two angels." Ok now, I'm tearing up...
What a great week! It was full of really early mornings, but big joys that made up for it. Only one more week of my rotation, then GRADUATION!
This is the Passy Muir Speaking Valve that lets trach patients speak again. When attached to the outside of a trach tube, the air can be inhaled in to breath, but then it is redirected up the airway and out the mouth in order for the patient to produce speech upon exhalation. What an amazing device!

No comments:
Post a Comment